I didn’t intend Captain’s Away! just for kids but it was something I thought kids would enjoy. It was based on an idea I’d had several years earlier that had stuck with me. Roy Orbison once said if you had to write an idea down to remember it, it probably wasn’t worth remembering. I’d written the idea for Captain’s Away! down somewhere but I hadn’t needed to. It was an idea that had definitely stuck with me over the years.
The premise was pretty straightforward. A waitress is approached by a crackpot who refers to her as “Captain” and implores her to return to her ship in space to lead her crew on a dangerous mission. Except that the stranger isn’t actually a crackpot and there really is a spaceship and circumstances force our hero to assume the identity of the captain with no idea what she’s doing as all the while the question lingers: is she the captain or isn’t she? And if so, why can’t she remember being the captain?
Intending the piece to be a serial, to be aired in ten minute episodes during each instance of Faster Than Light, I set out to write the first ten minutes for the Faster Than Light pilot. I wound up writing the first three episodes, but we only ever produced the first one. I wrote it as a light, comic piece with plenty of opportunities for cool sound effects.
I got into a bit of trouble during the writing of it. When I gave what I considered to be the final draft to James Roy, he pointed out that this was not the way it was done. I was supposed to have written an outline and then a first draft and then a second draft and then a third draft and a polish, with feedback at every stage to inform the next stage. I don’t think I actually knew that. I was used to writing fiction on my own. Writing with the input of others was an alien concept to me. But James was right. I was stomping all over the way things were supposed to be done. He accepted the piece just the same, though.
I contracted Wayne Richards to contribute original theme music and he came up with a fabulous piece that I called the Ah Oooh song (I don’t know if it has an actual name). I finished the play with another original piece of music by Rod Crocker called Turnaround, which I also love.
Making Captain’s Away! was a lot of fun and I was disappointed we didn’t get to make any more. To make up for it, I’m hard at work on my second novel, working title Captain’s Away (this time without the exclamation mark). It’s not quite the same story as the radio play version—it’s a lot less silly and there’s a lot more to it—but it has a bit of the same spirit.
And maybe one day we’ll make a radio version of it.
By Joe Mahoney
KARIN KUDELKA, waitress, thirtiesh
ENSIGN CHOKI SUNERIN, early twenties
LEONARD SNODGRASS, Manager of the Pickled Onion, fortiesh
MIRIEL, female, thirty-five, hint of the islands
EPISODE 1: SCENE 1 — KARIN’S APARTMENT
1. MUSIC: AH-OOH THEME
2. KARIN (NARR): Kudelka’s Log, Tuesday, July twenty-seventh. It’s been almost a month since… the accident. I still can’t believe he’s gone. It’s so lonely without him. I hear him all the time, but when I turn around to look for him, he’s not there. What I wouldn’t give to see that handsome little face one more time. The guilt is almost more than I can bear – it was my fault, after all. If only I hadn’t left the window open! Maybe I should just replace him, but – I don’t think I deserve another gerbil. Sometimes I think I don’t deserve any pet at all.
3. MUSIC: UP AND OUT
4. SOUND: TELEPHONE RINGS. CREAKING OF BED AS OUR HEROINE PICKS UP TELEPHONE
5. KARIN: (SLEEPY) Yo.
6. SNODGRASS: (TREATED) Who’s this?
7. KARIN: You first.
8. SNODGRASS: It’s me, Leonard.
9. KARIN: Leonard…
10. SNODGRASS: Leonard Snodgrass! That you, Kudelka?
11. KARIN: Omigod, M-mister Snodgrass, what time is it?
12. SOUND: KARIN SCRAMBLES OUT FROM UNDER THE COVERS
13. SNODGRASS: It’s late, is what time it is. Do you not think, Kudelka, that it’s time you bought a clock?
14. KARIN: I have one, it just doesn’t –
15. SOUND: SNODGRASS HANGS UP, DIAL TONE
16. KARIN: — work, is all.
17. MUSIC: GETTIN’ THE LEAD OUT
SCENE 2: BUSY SIDEWALK IN DOWNTOWN CORE
18. SOUND: STREETCAR ARRIVES, BELLS CLANGING, KARIN STEPS IN, DEPOSITS COINS ONE BY ONE
19. KARIN: Hi, how ya doin’? Okay, seventy, eighty, ninety, ninety-five, ninety-six, ninety-seven… uh oh.
20. DRIVER: Well? You gettin’ on or not?
21. KARIN: Uh, do you have change for a twenty?
22. SOUND: CHOKI CLAMBERS ABOARD BG
23. DRIVER: We only take exact change.
24. KARIN: Oh. Darn. Uh, gee —
25. DRIVER: Look lady, what’s it gonna be? On or off?
26. CHOKI: (MOVING ON) Hello, hi, excuse me… maybe I can help.
27. SOUND: CHOKI DEPOSITS COINS
28. CHOKI: There. Is that enough?
29. KARIN: Yes, thank you.
30. CHOKI: You’re quite welcome, Captain.
31. KARIN: Captain?
32. SOUND: STREETCAR STARTS UP, KARIN SITS DOWN
33. CHOKI: Mind if I sit beside you, Captain?
34. KARIN: Be my guest.
35. SOUND: CHOKI SITS DOWN
36. KARIN: So, do you call everyone Captain?
37. CHOKI: Just Captains, Captain. Excuse me.
38. SOUND: A TUNEFUL ELECTRONIC BLEEP SOUNDS
39. CHOKI: (DISCRETELY) Choki to Kimay (KEE’MAY), I’ve found the Captain, she’s assumed the identity of a human female, brunette, with quite a smattering of freckles about her face. A clever disguise.
40. KARIN: Uh…
41. CHOKI: I’ll keep you posted, Choki out. (CHUCKLES) You’re asking yourself, why am I talking to my watch.
42. KARIN: Well yes, actually.
43. CHOKI: You see, it’s not just a watch, it’s also a communicator. We had them specially made. Clever, eh? Here, I’ll show you.
44. SOUND: WATCH PRODUCES NEAT SOUND
45. CHOKI: You see?
46. KARIN: Oh, I get it, it’s a toy.
47. CHOKI: Noooo Captain, it’s no toy, it’s as real as the Kimay.
48. KARIN: The Kimay…
49. CHOKI: The Kimay… the starship that brought us here. You’re a little confused, aren’t you? I didn’t realize –
50. KARIN: You think I’m the one that’s confused?
51. CHOKI: Thank heavens I found you in time, before the enemy –
52. KARIN: Oh boy.
53. CHOKI: When the psionic link went down, I –
54. SOUND: “STOP REQUESTED” SIGNAL SOUNDS, KARIN GETS UP TO LEAVE
55. KARIN: Gee, is this my stop already? (MOVING OFF) Thanks so much for your help, I’ll just be getting off now, thanks, excuse me?
56. CHOKI: (CALLING AFTER) But Captain, you don’t understand, we need to – the mission, it’s in jeopardy… Captain, the Kimay needs you!
57. MUSIC: WHIRLWIND STING
SCENE 3: KITCHEN OF THE PICKLED ONION, A RESTAURANT
58. SOUND: DOOR BURSTS OPEN, RESTAURANT KITCHEN SFX
59. KARIN: (BREATHLESS) I’m so sorry –
60. SNODGRASS: Third time this month, Kudelka. Third time.
61. KARIN: Sorry, Mr. Snodgrass, won’t happen again, getting a new clock soon as I can afford one. Then on the bus, there was this, this guy –
62. SNODGRASS: You’re on thin ice, do you hear me? And it’s melting, just like the polar ice cap. (BEAT) Be sorry to see it go.
63. KARIN: (BEAT) What go?
64. SNODGRASS: The polar ice cap! All those polar bears – won’t be a one left. Punctuality and polar bears – I shall mourn their passing. Okay, get out of here, table twelve’s waiting, what’s the matter with you? Take his tray, weirdo’s been waitin’ half an hour already.
65. KARIN: Like I said, Mr. Snodgrass, I’m really sorry about –
66. SNODGRASS: Out!
67. KARIN: (MUTTERING) Okay, okay… this his tray here? (GROANS PICKING UP TRAY) Fella’s got an appetite…
68. SOUND: PICKS UP LARGE TRAY OF FOOD, OUT THROUGH SWINGING KITCHEN DOORS
SCENE 4: THE PICKLED ONION
69. SOUND: PATRONS EATING, CHATTING BG
70. KARIN: (MOVING ON) Table twelve, table twelve, here we are… morning, sir, sorry to keep you waiting, I must say, this is one heckuva a big breakfast for just one per – (GASP) – you!
71. CHOKI: A ploy to remain seated, Captain, no time to eat. Now listen: The enemy, they’ve affected your brain, I think. We must get you back to the ship —
72. KARIN: Are you stalking me?
73. CHOKI: Captain, please —
74. KARIN: Stop calling me that! I’m not your Captain, or anyone’s Captain, I’m a waitress, and you, sir, need help —
75. SOUND: CHOKI TAKES A DEVICE FROM HIS POCKET – THERE IS A HUMMING SOUND
76. KARIN: What’s that? What’ve you got there? What are you-
77. CHOKI: P.T.A, Captain – personal time accelerator, for use in emergencies only. It’ll buy us the time and privacy we need.
78. SOUND: BLEEP OF PTA; RESTAURANT CHATTER VARI-SPEEDS DOWN, THEN STOPS
79. KARIN: What the – my god, what have you done? It’s like, they’re all frozen! Everyone! Not cold to the touch, but –
80. SOUND: WOMAN TOPPLES OVER
81. KARIN: Omigod! I just touched her and she fell over, I didn’t mean to —
82. CHOKI: ‘S’okay, Captain… (STANDS UP), it’s not a problem, I’ll just get up and (GRUNTS WITH EXERTION) stand her back up, like so…
83. KARIN: Watch her head! The table!
84. SOUND: SICKENING THUD
85. KARIN: Ooh!
86. CHOKI: That’s gonna leave a mark! (BEAT) Shame, too… it was such a nice table.
87. SOUND: MORE EXERTION FROM CHOKI
88. CHOKI: There! Except for the big lump on her head she’ll never know what happened.
89. KARIN: What exactly is happening?
90. CHOKI: (RAPID-FIRE) The personal time accelerator, it speeds us up, we’re moving much faster than everyone else, too fast for them to see or hear us. Got it? No. Okay, doesn’t matter, not important. What is important is this: You are Captain Karin Kudelka of the Kimay, you’re not from here, you’re a T’Klee, you’ve been hurt in some kind of accident, that’s why you can’t remember who you are. Mighta been enemy action, maybe you just slipped on a banana, hard to say. Thing is, we‘ve got to get you back to the Kimay before the damage becomes irreversible.
91. KARIN: Okay look you, I don’t know what kind of shenanigans you’re up to or how you know my name, but I’m not going anywhere. I am not a whatever you said, I’m a waitress. You, this, this thing you’ve done, I’m just delusional is all, it’s… the gerbil! The stress of his death, it’s getting to me, the guilt, I’m, I’m losing my mind –
92. CHOKI: Captain. There’s far too much at stake here. If I have to, I’ll sling you over my back…
93. SOUND: INSISTENT BLEEP OF PTA DEVICE
94. CHOKI: Drat, time’s up. Grab on to something, quick.
95. SOUND: THERE’S A WRENCHING SOUND AS TIME IS TORN IN HALF. RESTAURANT SFX SUDDENLY RETURN TO NORMAL
96. KARIN: Oh!
97. SOUND: KARIN DROPS THE TRAY OF FOOD SHE WAS HOLDING ONTO
98. SNODGRASS: (STORMING ON) Kudelka… Kudelka, was that you? Did you drop your… what’s got into you? Look at this mess! As far as the eye can see, nothin’ but scrambled eggs.
99. KARIN: Mr. Snodgrass… you were frozen, all of you, just like statues, you came back to life and I musta – (SNIFF; SHE’S TRYING NOT TO CRY) jumped, I didn’t mean to — (SNIFF) I’m just having a bad day (SNIFF SNIFF)…
100. SNODGRASS: Oh, Karin, Karin, Karin, there there, it’s okay, here’s a handkerchief.
101. KARIN: (SNIFF) Thank you.
102. SNODGRASS: It’s drugs, isn’t it?
103. KARIN: Huh?
104. SNODGRASS: You disappoint me, Kudelka. Didn’t think you were the type.
105. KARIN: No, no! No drugs!
106. SNODGRASS: You’ll consider this an act of kindness some day — you’re fired. Get help if you have to. Now get your things and get out.
107. KARIN: Fired? No… you can’t! The rent, how will I… Mr. Snodgrass, please –
108. CHOKI: (APPALLED) Captain, please, the dignity of your station, begging before a mere human —
109. KARIN: You stay out of this!
110. SNODGRASS: Sorry, mind’s made up. Oh, and Kudelka – if you wouldn’t mind, just, cleaning this up before you go? Hmm?
111. MUSIC: AH-OOH THEME
End of Episode One
EPISODE 2: SCENE 1 — OUTSIDE THE PICKLED ONION
THEME: AH-OOH THEME
2. SFX: CHOKI & KARIN EXIT RESTAURANT
3. CHOKI: (BREATHLESS, MOVING ON) Captain, we have to get back to the ship. The crew… you’ve been gone a long time, they’re restless. I can’t blame them, the enemy, closing in —
4. KARIN: “We” must not get “me” anywhere. I’m going home. Alone. (MOVING OFF) Taxi! Taxi!
5. CHOKI: Captain! Home is an awfully long way from here!
6. KARIN: (ON) What am I doing, I can’t afford a taxi. (MOVING OFF) Bus! Bus!
7. CHOKI: Half way across the galaxy. Remember? No?
8. KARIN: (ON) Hypnosis.
9. CHOKI: Captain?
10. KARIN: Hypnosis. That whole slowing down time thing in there. It was a trick, wasn’t it? You’re some kinda loony hypnotist. Well thanks for the show, pal, but you’ve gone and got me fired!
11. CHOKI: Captain, you’re not well.
12. KARIN: (DERISIVE SNORT) I’m not well!
13. CHOKI: Come with me. Back to the ship, I implore you. We’re in danger, all of us, great danger. The mission… you want to go home? Captain — there will be no home, not here, not there, not — not anywhere, unless you and I get back to the Kimay, back where we belong, and finish what we came for!
14. KARIN: Look you — wait a minute. What’s your rank, young man?
15. SFX: CLICK OF BOOT HEELS
16. CHOKI: Ensign Choki Sunerin, at your service, Captain.
17. KARIN: Ensign. So I’m your Captain, am I?
18. CHOKI: Yes. Yes, that’s right. Captain Karin Kudelka of the Kimay, Marauder Class Starship of the Imperial Republic of T’Klee.
19. KARIN: Of what? Never mind. Okay. If I’m your Captain, then you have to follow my orders. That’s right, isn’t it? Ensign?
20. CHOKI: Uh…
21. KARIN: (STERNLY) Ensign!
22. CHOKI: Yes Captain. But —
23. KARIN: No buts! I order you to go away! Far, far away! Vermont, at the very least! And leave me alone!
24. CHOKI: (GENTLY) Captain, with all due respect, you are not fit to command.
25. KARIN: That’s a direct order, mister! You can’t disobey a direct order! (BEAT) Can you?
26. CHOKI: I’m afraid I must. We’re running out of time. I’m sorry, Captain, but…
27. SFX: CHOKI WITHDRAWS A WHIRRING OBJECT FROM HIS POCKET
28. KARIN: Okay, what’s that, what’ve you got there –
29. CHOKI: S’okay, Captain, won’t hurt a bit. Well not much. A bit of pain, maybe –
30. KARIN: Hey! Whattaya… don’t you dare stick me with that thing!
31. SFX: THEY STRUGGLE
32. CHOKI: It’s for the best, Captain. You’ll go to sleep, you’ll wake up on board the Kimay, and everything’ll be juuusssst fine.
33. KARIN: Oh no you don’t…!
34. SFX: MORE STRUGGLING. CHOKI IS STRUCK OVER THE HEAD WITH A FRYING PAN AND COLLAPSES
35. CHOKI: Ooof!
36. KARIN: Mr. Snodgrass!
37. SNODGRASS: To the rescue, it would appear.
38. MUSIC BRIDGE: SHORT AND SNAPPY
SCENE 2: SNODGRASS’S OFFICE
39. MUSIC: CLASSICAL MUSIC PLAYING QUIETLY BG
40. SFX: SNODGRASS POURS DRINK
41. SNODGRASS: A little something to help you relax.
42. KARIN: Thank you, Mr. Snodgrass.
43. SNODGRASS: (SITTING DOWN) Where was I… oh yes. When I saw the weirdo hadn’t paid his bill, I went after him.
44. KUDELKA: With a frying pan.
45. SNODGRASS: Naturally.
46. KARIN: Did you – did you have to hit him so hard? I mean – I know he was crazy, but —
47. SNOGRASS: He was assaulting you with a deadly… with a deadly… thing, you know.
48. KARIN: I know, but… he was kind of sweet in a way. Calling me “Captain” all the time. Captain! Usually it’s “Honey where’s my baloney sandwich?”
49. SNODGRASS: Yes. “Captain.” Curious that.
50. KARIN: You’re being awfully sweet too, Mr. Snodgrass. To tell you the truth, I didn’t —
51. SNODGRASS: Think I had it in me. Yes, I know. You all think I’m some kind of “monster,” don’t you, heh heh. Well there’s a lot you don’t know about me, Kudelka.
52. KARIN: Um… Mr. Snodgrass… seeing as how you’re being all nice to me and all now, um…
53. SNODGRASS: No.
54. KARIN: No?
55. SNODGRASS: No. You can’t have your job back.
56. KARIN: But – but Mr. Snodgrass…!
57. SNODGRASS: This may sound harsh, Kudelka, but… well… jobs are for people who show up on time. They’re for people who don’t drop things, and… who aren’t about to die horribly.
58. KARIN: That aren’t about to… huh?
59. SNODGRASS: Kudelka, I’m gonna to show you something I haven’t shown anyone in years.
60. KARIN: Oh, I’m not so sure I wanna see that —
61. SFX: SOUND OF FALSE FACE RIPPED OFF
62. SNODGRASS: (TREATED AS AN ALIEN) My true face!
63. KARIN: (GASPS) Mr. Snodgrass! You’re hideous!
64. SNODGRASS: (TREATED) I beg your pardon! I’ll have you know I’m considered quite the catch back on Necronia Prime.
65. KARIN: Necronia…
66. SNODGRASS: (TREATED) Prime, my dear Captain. My homeworld. Yes, that’s right: I know who you are, even if you don’t. I heard every word your ensign said.
67. KARIN: (WEAKLY) Homeworld?
68. SNODGRASS: (TREATED) Oh, how I long for those crimson skies, those sulphurous seas! Here everything’s so… bright and… fuzzy, I – I simply can’t stand it any longer. Fortunately, once I’ve extracted what I need from your feeble brain, I won’t have to. What have you to say to that, Captain Karin Kudelka of the Kimay?
69. KARIN: Uhhhh… help?
70. MUSIC: “HELP” FROM THE BEATLES, SEGUING DIRECTLY INTO:
71. MUSIC: AH-OOH THEME
End of Episode Two
EPISODE 3: SCENE 1 — SNODGRASS’S OFFICE
1. MUSIC CLASSICAL MUSIC PLAYING QUIETLY BG
2. KARIN: (UNDER HER BREATH) This is not happening. It’s not happening!
3. SNODGRASS: (TREATED) We’ll have to be quick about this, Kudelka. Come over here.
4. KARIN: No…!
5. SFX: SNODGRASS GRABS HER ROUGHLY. SHE STRUGGLES FUTILEY
6. SNODGRASS: I just insert the…
7. SFX: SUCTION DEVICE PLACED ON HEAD
8. KARIN: (GASPS)
9. SNODGRASS: Turn it on, and…
10. SFX: WHIRRING, SUCKING SFX
11. KARIN: Oh…! Oh, it hurts!
12. SNODGRASS: Yes. Yes I’m sure that it does.
13. SFX: BUTTONS, WHIRRING BG
14. SNODGRASS: But you mustn’t think me cruel, Kudelka. Merely expedient. You see, the truth is, I’ve always been rather fond of you.
15. KARIN: Right!
16. SNODGRASS: We have much in common, you and I.
17. KARIN: What could I possibly have in common with a monster like you –
18. SFX: BUTTON PUNCHED HARD, SFX OUT
19. SNODGRASS: (BEAT) Monster?
20. KARIN: Have you looked in a mirror, pal? I mean, you know, since you ripped off your face? A little something to consider: Instead of a gaping hole in the middle of your face? How ‘bout some kind of, oh, I dunno, nose –
21. SNODGRASS: Show me your true face, Captain. Talk to me then of monsters.
22. KARIN: My true face…? What do you mean my true face?
23. SNODGRASS: (CHUCKLES) Never mind, Captain. No time for that now. Now —
24. KARIN: I’m warning you, I’ll scream.
25. SNODGRASS: Oh good. I was rather hoping you’d scream. Soundproof walls, Captain. Scream to your heart’s content.
26. SFX: BUTTON. PAIN MACHINE ON
27. KARIN: (CRIES OUT)
28. SNODGRASS: Time to find out what you know.
29. KARIN: What I know? I don’t even… know about what?
30. SNODGRASS: (WARNING) Captain…
31. SFX: PAIN INCREASED
32. KARIN: (SUFFERING) Wait! Wait…I know…
33. SNODGRASS: What?
34. KARIN …pain…
35. SNODGRASS: My dear Captain. We all know pain. Tell me something I don’t know.
36. KARIN: Okay! Okay! Just don’t… I’ll tell you something, something I know…
37. SNODGRASS: Hmm?
38. KARIN: I know…
39. SNODGRASS: What?
40. KARIN: (BABBLING, DESPERATE) What do I know? Uh… well, I’ll tell you one thing, I know that this is really a bad day, ‘cause Mr. Snodgrass I have to tell you I thought that yesterday was a bad day, I mean, you’re gonna laugh, but I got my little finger caught in a cheese grater, trying to get it out I thought I’d rip it clean off, man did it hurt — but compared to today that was nothing —
41. SNODGRASS: (INTERRUPTING) Captain, Captain.
42. KARIN: What?
43. SNODGRASS: The Apple.
44. KARIN: Apple…
45. SNODGRASS: I need to know about The Apple.
46. KARIN: (HASN’T A CLUE) The apple. Yes. Yes, of course. The apple.
47. SNODGRASS: It’s the entire reason you’re here, isn’t it. To find The Apple. Bring it back to your people. Win this silly war with it.
48. KARIN: (TRYING TO FOLLOW) Win the war with the apple…
49. SNODGRASS: So what I need to know, Captain…
48. SFX: SHOT OF PAIN MACHINE
50. KARIN: (GASPS)
51. SNODGRASS: …is… where is The Apple?
52: KARIN: I don’t know!
53: SNODGRASS: Maybe you have it already. Do you? No? How close are you to finding it?
54. KARIN: Mr. Snodgrass, please…
55. SNODGRASS: ‘Cause it’s here, somewhere. Oh yes, I know it is. Has to be. So close I can practically smell it.
56. KARIN: (BEAT) Without a nose?
57. SFX: ANOTHER SHOT OF PAIN
58. KARIN: Oh…! Oh, Mr. Snodgrass. Why are you doing this to me?
59. SNODGRASS: Make no mistake, Kudelka, you’re doing this to yourself. Tell me where the Apple is and all the pain will stop. It’s as simple as that.
60. KARIN: It is?
61. SNODGRASS: It is. I promise.
62. KARIN: You do?
63. SNODGRASS: I do. I really do.
64. KARIN: Umm…
65. SNODGRASS: Mmm?
66. KARIN: Uh… what about the fridge. Have you looked in there?
67. SFX: PAIN, TERRIBLE PAIN
68. KARIN: (CRYING OUT)
69. SNODGRASS: Tsk tsk tsk. Why do they always insist on dying horribly?
70. SFX: MORE PAIN GENERATED
71. KARIN: (MORE CRYING OUT)
72. SFX: DOOR SPLINTERING OPEN
73. SNODGRASS: What the…?
74. SFX: SHOT OF FUTURISTIC BLASTER
75. SFX: SNODGRASS FALLS TO THE GROUND
76. SNODGRASS: Oh!
77. MIRIEL: Hello, Captain. Long time no see.
78. MUSIC: AH-OOH THEME
End of Episode Three
EPISODE 4: SCENE 1 – INTERIOR CAR
1. SFX: INT. CAR SCREECHES AROUND CORNER, DRIVING FAST
2. KARIN: (IN SCENE): (FRANTIC) Gotta… gotta get a grip. Gotta think!
3. SFX: PURSE RUMMAGING FOR PEN, PAD
4. KARIN: Have ta… organize my thoughts… maybe, maybe write things down…
5. KARIN (NARR): (STILL FRANTIC) Kudelka’s Log, Wednesday, July… July…
6. KARIN (IN SCENE): What’s the date today?
7. CHOKI: Human calendar, Captain? Or T’Klee?
8. KARIN: (BEAT) Never mind.
9. KARIN: (NARR): They’ve taken me in some kinda — some kinda car. Who? I don’t know. Why? Dunno that either. My… my job — gone! Eggs! Everywhere… boss some kinda – freak! Nose! Gone, all gone.
10. CHOKI: Captain… Captain, are you okay? Sir, she’s shivering.
11. SFX: SCREECH OF TIRES
12. MIRIEL: (FROM FRONT SEAT TO BACK) Don’t worry, Ensign — we’ll get her looked after as soon as we can. Get her seatbelt on — I’m gonna take a shortcut.
13. CHOKI: Yes sir.
14. SFX: SEATBELT CLINKING
15. CHOKI: Captain, if you could just–
16. KARIN: (IN SCENE) Don’t –! Touch me.
17. CHOKI: Captain, your seatbelt.
18. KARIN: I’m not your captain. And I may be crazy, but I still know how to…
19. SFX: GRAPPLING WITH SEATBELT BG
20. KARIN: … how to… how to get a…! Arrgh! How do you get this thing to —
21. CHOKI: Just… you just have to –
22. SFX: SEATBELT ATTACHES PROPERLY
23. KARIN: (BIG SIGH) Thanks.
24. CHOKI: You’re welcome, Cap – you’re welcome.
25. SFX: DRIVING GETS REALLY BUMPY
26. KARIN: (SHAKY) Look, Ensign – whatever your name is – maybe – maybe it wasn’t such a good idea me coming with you.
27. CHOKI: No, no, Captain, don’t say that—
28. SFX: OVER PARTICULARLY BIG BUMP
29. CHOKI: (PAIN) Oh!
30. KARIN: What? What’s wrong?
31. CHOKI: Nothing… it’s nothing…
32. KARIN: It’s your head, isn’t it? Where he hit you —
33. CHOKI: My head’s fine. Really.
34. KARIN: Really?
35. CHOKI: Absolutely. My real head, anyway. But this one? Hurts a lot!
36. KARIN: (BEAT) Could you sound any more like you have a concussion?
37. CHOKI: I just need to get back to the ship, Captain. I’ll be fine then. We all will. (SOTTO VOCE) I think.
38. KARIN: Oh yeah. The ship. The – what did you call it?
39. CHOKI: The Kimay. You – you do remember her, don’t you, Captain?
40. MIRIEL: Ensign.
41. CHOKI: But – but sir, she’s got to remember! If she doesn’t even remember the Kimay, how can she can possibly –
42. MIRIEL: Ensign!
43. CHOKI: Yes sir.
44. KARIN: Look you… people – or whatever you are — what if – and just, just go with me on this, um, what if I don’t remember anything because, you know, call me crazy, but, ah, because there isn’t anything to remember! Eh? And – and — and – and maybe it isn’t me that’s crazy at all but, but – and, don’t get mad — ha ha! so to speak — but, but, but it’s you that’s crazy, and not me! Eh? Or, or, or this is all some kind of a joke, some kind of really, really horrible, mean joke —
45. MIRIEL: Karin —
46. KARIN: (WEAKENING) A joke that… that Mr. Snodgrass put you up to… except – except that – you guys – it really hurt the stuff he did to me, you know…?
47. MIRIEL: Karin, listen to me. You’re going to be okay —
48. KARIN: No, no I don’t think so. I am anything but okay! —
49. MIRIEL: You’re scared… confused. I don’t blame you – all you’ve been through. Hang on.
50. SFX: BIG BUMP, THEN SMOOTH DRIVING
51. MIRIEL: I’ve no idea what happened to you, Karin – why you can’t remember who you are. I know it must’ve been something bad. But we’re going to figure it out, you and me – all of us, together. You have my word on that. We’ll sort it all out just as soon as we… uh… (SHE’S SAID TOO MUCH)… as soon as we…
52. KARIN: (RECOVERING COMPOSURE) What?
53. MIRIEL: Um… as soon as we, ah, soon. We’ll sort it out soon.
54. KARIN: As soon as what? What were you going to say?
55. MIRIEL: (SIGH) As soon as we cross over.
56. KARIN: Cross over. I don’t even want to know what that means.
57. SFX: SEATBELT UNBUCKLED
58. KARIN: Stop the car.
59. CHOKI: Captain…
60. KARIN: Stop the car. I mean it! I’m getting out.
61. SFX: DOOR OPENS, HIGHWAY IS LOUD
62. CHOKI: Captain no!
63. KARIN: You’re got three seconds and then I jump!
64. MIRIEL: Karin –
65. KARIN: One! (BEAT) Two!
66. CHOKI: Sir — I think she means it, sir!
67. MIRIEL: Of course she does, Ensign. She rarely bluffs, our Captain.
68. KARIN: Three!
69. SFX: CAR SCREECHES TO A HALT
70. MIRIEL: (FACING BACK SEAT FOR FIRST TIME) Well? Karin. Go if you’re going.
71. CHOKI: (AGHAST) Sir? You’re not going to just –!
72. MIRIEL: That’s enough out of you, Ensign.
73. SFX: CAR PASSES, HORN DOPPLERING
74: KARIN: I just… it’s just —
75. MIRIEL: Mm?
76. KARIN: It’s all just so… insane! I mean… isn’t it?
77. MIRIEL: Oh yes, Captain, quite insane, I assure you.
78. SFX: LONG BEAT AS CAR PASSES ON COUNTRY ROAD
79. MIRIEL: We have a long ways to go yet, Captain — if you would be so good as to close the door?
80. SFX: ANOTHER LONG BEAT. DOOR CLOSES.
81. MIRIEL: (SIGH OF RELIEF) Yessirree… a long, long ways.
83. SFX: CAR STARTS OFF
End of Episode Four
EPISODE 5: SCENE 1 – CLIFF
1. SFX: WIND WHISTLES, BIRDS CRY, WATERFALL CRASHES ONTO ROCKS BELOW
2. KARIN: I was afraid of this.
3. CHOKI: What, Captain?
4. KARIN: I don’t see it.
5. CHOKI: What are you looking for?
6. KARIN: Your ship. The… the Kimay. I thought you were taking me to the Kimay. (DERISIVE SNORT) You know, you almost had me convinced.
7. CHOKI: No… no, Captain — we are taking you to the Kimay, really!
8. KARIN: So… what. Is it down there? Under the water?
9. CHOKI: Noooo….
10. KARIN: Wait! Don’t tell me: it’s in a cave in the cliffs.
11. CHOKI: Noooo….
12. KARIN: (SARCASTIC) Is it a cloud? A tree? No, no wait, I got it — it’s a bug, isn’t it. A ladybug, or — or a bee! And we have to shrink to get in it. Right? Am I right?
13. CHOKI: A good guess, Captain —
14. KARIN: But?
15. MIRIEL: No. The Kimay is not a bug.
16. CHOKI: You see, the thing is, Captain, the Kimay is not actually here.
17. KARIN: (ASIDE) Why am I not surprised? (LOUDER) All right, then — where is it?
18. MIRIEL: Tell her, Ensign.
19. CHOKI: Yes… well, you see, Captain, it’s difficult to say exactly where the Kimay is at any one time. We have to keep it out of harm’s way, you see, because of the, ah, well the war and all… and — um, should I be…?
20. MIRIEL: It’s okay, Ensign, she has to hear about it sometime.
21. KARIN: The war… Snodgrass said something about a war. Kept asking about… an apple? Can that be right? Maybe I didn’t hear him right.
22. MIRIEL: We are at war, Captain.
23. KARIN: Over an apple?
23. MIRIEL: No.
24. KARIN: Well that’s good. (CHUCKLES) Be a pretty silly war, over an apple.
25. MIRIEL: Wars have been fought over less, Captain.
26. KARIN: Yeah? Like what… grapes?
27. CHOKI: There is an apple involved. But it’s not a real apple – we just call it an apple.
28. KARIN: Let me guess – it’s really a grape.
29. MIRIEL: Ensign. Tell her about the Kimay.
30. CHOKI: Yes sir. You see, Captain, the thing is, we don’t actually know where the Kimay is.
31. KARIN: You don’t.
32. CHOKI: No.
33. KARIN: So… what. This is some kind of a game, then?
34. CHOKI: Oh no, Captain. By no means. You see, we may not know where the Kimay is…
35. SFX: A TUNEFUL ELECTRONIC BLEEP
36. CHOKI: But we know how to get there. Choki to Kimay.
37. SFX: FUNNY HIGH PITCHED SQUEAKING
38. CHOKI: Kimay, we have the captain.
39. SFX: SQUEAKING MANAGES TO SOUND LIKE “YOU HAVE THE CAPTAIN?!”
40. CHOKI: Yes. We have the captain. Standing by to cross over.
41. SFX: MORE FUNNY SQUEAKING
42. CHOKI: Understood.
43. SFX: TUNEFUL ELECTRONIC BLEEP
44. SFX: A LOW, OMINOUS SOUND BG
45. KARIN: (AFRAID) What’s that?
44. CHOKI: Psionic field. It’s up, sir.
45. MIRIEL: Good. That gives us… what.
46. CHOKI: Seconds, minutes… hard to say.
47. MIRIEL: (CONCERNED) Hmm.
48. KARIN: A sonic what? What do you mean by “cross over… you’re not talking about beaming up, are you? Know what I think? You guys watch too much television. You should listen to the radio more!
49. MIRIEL: Get a move on, ensign.
47. CHOKI: (OFF) Yes sir.
48. KARIN: What’s he doing? (PANIC) Where’s he going?
49. CHOKI: (OFF) It’s okay, Captain!
50. KARIN: No!
51. SFX: WATERFALL & OMINOUS SFX LOUDER
52. KARIN: No… no, Choki, what are you… don’t do it! Don’t jump!
53. SFX: THEY STRUGGLE BG
54. CHOKI: Let – go, Captain!
55. KARIN: But – but Choki – it’s gotta be a hundred feet down there! There’s rocks – you could hit a rock beneath the surface!
56. CHOKI: (STRUGGLING TO FREE HIMSELF) Captain, there’s — no time —
57. KARIN: But – but Choki! You’ll drown! Or – or wind up a quadriplegic! Or worse!
58. CHOKI: Captain, it’s – it’s how you do it! How you get to the Kimay!
59. KARIN: Choki…! Choki… You! Help me!
60. MIRIEL: (OFF) He knows what he’s doing, Captain.
61. KARIN: Choki… Choki damn you!
62. SFX: THEY STRUGGLE; CLOTHES RIP, ROCKS, PEBBLES FALL
63. SFX: SILENCE ENSUES, UNTIL:
64. KARIN: Choki! Omigod… omigod Choki! I – I can’t see him! Where’d he go?
65. MIRIEL: (APPROACHING) He’s on board the Kimay, Captain.
66. KARIN: (URGENT) I don’t see him on the rocks… he must be in the water! Quick! Call 911!
67. MIRIEL: I’ll go next. You need to come right after, Captain. No dawdling… the field won’t stay up forever.
68. KARIN: Whattaya you guys… in some kinda cult?
69. MIRIEL: See you on the other side, Captain.
70. SFX: SCRAMBLE OF ROCKS; SHE JUMPS
71. KARIN: Noooo! Oh no… I – I can’t believe this… omigod, there she is! In the water! Can’t… just… gotta, gotta do something!
72. SFX: RUSTLING AS SHE TAKES OFF SHOES, CLOTHING
73. KARIN: Maybe – maybe can’t save both of them… but… but gotta try at least! Wasn’t a syncronized swimmin’ champ for nothin’! All right. Here goes! (TAKES A BIG BREATH)
74. SFX: SCRAMBLE OF ROCKS; SHE JUMPS.
PSIONIC FIELD KICKS IN, RIPS KARIN’S PSYCHE FROM HER BODY
76. KARIN: (CRIES OUT IN SHOCK) Oh! Ohhh!
77. MUSIC: AH-OOH THEME
End of Episode Five